Skip to main content

Week 1 of IVF



I finished Birth Control pills September 10th (Sunday) and started my oral medications (hormones) on Tuesday the 12th. Thursday I had my doctor’s appointment to check my ovaries, uterus and lining. Everything looked good with NO CYST (I usually always have at least one or two every cycle). I guess the birth control worked and the medications I started are doing their job! I have been able to maintain my working out and healthy eating, thank goodness! This is something very important to me because its keeping me sane and focused. Everyone has their own way of dealing with stress and anxiety and working out is mine. It’s also allowed me to work with amazing girls who help me stay positive and motivated. I have never been more thankful for working out and getting my sweat on LOL. BUT next week I will def. have to slow down ☹.



I think that everything is lining up well and we feel very hopeful. I feel at peace with what we are doing and feel that we made the right decision to proceed with IVF.

About the medication:
I am taking Letrozole, which is a breast cancer treatment drug that inhibits estrogen and increases progesterone. I guess my body needed to chill out on making estrogen! This medication is known to help women who have ovulation problems and unexplained fertility. Everyone who goes through IVF has different medications and treatment plans- just because I’m taking this doesn’t mean everyone else is!
Tomorrow I start giving myself shots of Menopur and Gonal. These injections will start the stimulation process. Gonal comes in a big pen, like an EpiPen if you have seen one of those, then you put in a cartridge with the drug and twist the dial on the end to indicate how high of a dose you need. Menopur is done the old fashion way, straight up shot style and I have to mix the medications (nervous about this)! I have since heard this medication called Satan’s Potion by another IVF patient because its BURNS!! I am staying positive and looking forward to next week! Follicles better be ready to GROW!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First IVF Cycle - Failed

Day 5 embryo update - This is the day an embryo makes it or doesn't make it! Unfortunately the 4 embryos we had did not make it to day 5 blast!! This is very crucial in the IVF world because day 5 blast gives you the best quality embryo. Honestly I did not understand what blast meant until they explained it to me, so here you go.... A healthy blastocyst often begins hatching from its outer shell, between day 5 to day 7 after fertilization. In a normal pregnancy the embryo would start attaching to the mothers lining or during IVF they transfer or freeze the embryos at this stage. At this point in the stage its ready to attach to the mothers lining. The doctors said if an embryo doesn't blast at day 5 then it usually means the embryo is not growing at a normal rate and most likely wont pass genetic testing even if it does blast at day 6. I was so disappointed and sad when I got the phone call- HOW IN THE WORLD DID ALL 4 NOT MAKE IT!!! But it is completely out of our contr...

Egg Retrieval & The 5 Day Wait

Goodbye Shots!!!!!! The trigger shot was a success. Egg Retrieval Time!! It really doesn't hurt-Promise! Incase you don't know what Egg Retrieval is.... Here’s how it works: the doctor will use an ultrasound to identify your ovaries. Your doctor will gently guide a needle attached to a catheter through the vaginal wall. One by one, the eggs will be drawn out using light suction. They’ll be collected in test tubes labeled with your name number, which will then be handed off to the embryologist—an expert in the science of oocyte cryopreservation (the technical term for egg freezing). Before you leave the office,  you will know how many eggs were retrieved and moved to the embryology lab. The doctors write the number of eggs on your hand! The next day they call to let you know how many of your eggs were able to be fertilized, they consider this day 1. They continue to update you on day 3 and 5. If you have embryos make it to day 5 they are considered good and re...

Week 2- Stimulation Phase

Night Time Routine The Fertility and IVF world call this “STIMS” This is the process where you are now stimulating your ovaries. This is how I think of it: you are taking your normal size ovaries (almond size) and growing them to the size of oranges. In a normal cycle, you produce ONE egg each month! Well thanks to stimulation you start producing WAY more than one egg, and yes you can feel it!! A lot of girls describe it as a fluttery feeling in their stomach. During the stimulation phase, you visit the doctors frequently, they do blood work and ultrasounds to check your follicles. This is important because it lets you know if your body is or isn't responding to the medications. All my needles for the week! Monday - We started injections- George is a master at this, thank gosh because I did not want to give myself shots!! I started with Gonal and Menopur, both are stimulation medications. The shots are done in the stomach and don’t hurt too bad- little sting an...